Monday, November 14, 2011

Snack of the Week


I've been trying really hard to combat the munchies at work but it doesn't help when there's a supermarket right across the road, along with a patty and pastry outlet (I'm a self-proclaimed pastry/anything dessert-ey junkie). Sometimes, when I manage to resist the urge to buy sweet biscuits or chips, I have a packet of peanuts and raisins. But as much as I love peanuts, it can get tiring, especially now that my wisdom tooth is coming out (takes twice as long to finish a packet). So I've been search health magazine to find healthy snacks that I can prepare at home or buy at a grocery store. Now, everytime I think of a healthy snack, the first thing comes to mind is peanut butter and celery. I don't know why but I guess its because of the  peculiarity of the combo. I used to read about the healthy option while growing up but had never been introduced to celery. The day I was, I wished I had never met celery. Do't get me wrong, I appreciate the very, very, very faint taste of celery in soups and meats, But celery itself? The thought even makes my mouth go dry. So as an alternative, I came up with a much milder cruciferous vegetable: cucumber!!! Now, I just love it that Mr. Cucumber hardly has any taste and just blends in with everything :-). And I just love peanut butter...

Fun facts about cucumbers:
  • They're  a good source of vitamin C, beta-carotene, manganese and flavonoids which are antioxidants that help to prevent damage caused by free-radicals.
  • Fresh cucumber extracts have been shown to reduce unwanted inflammation in animal studies (that's why its used to reduce eye puffiness). 


If you have any ideas for healthy snack options, please feel free to leave a comment! 

No comments:

Post a Comment